Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Court dissolves marriage over husband’s alleged disrespect for bride’s parents


An Ilorin Area Court on Monday dissolved the four-year-old marriage of a couple over  the  wife’s  claim of disrespect of her parents by her husband.
The housewife and resident of Sango in Ilorin, Falilat Elepo, had  told the court that her husband, Ismail Alabi,  had  no regard for her parents and was fond of addressing them rudely.
“My husband is too proud  to show respect  to my family members. My husband feels as if he possesses everything on earth,’’ she alleged.
Elepo cited an instance when her husband deployed abusive language to describe  her mother  when she tried to resolve a misunderstanding.
“ He called my mother a witch  and humiliated her in public forgetting the fact that he has his own mother at home as well,’’ she said.
She told the court that their marriage was contracted in 2008 and had produced one male child aged three years.
The complainant prayed the court to dissolve the marriage, saying she could no longer tolerate the insults.
The defendant, however, did not object to the prayer of the plaintiff.
“ I  will never allow any external person to interfere in my family affair and this is  what  my wife’s parents are trying to do,’’ he said.
He urged the court to grant the prayer of his wife, saying:  “Nobody can teach me how to run my family affair.”
The presiding Judge, Mr Ibrahim Abdulquadri, dissolved the  marriage and issued a certificate of divorce to the plaintiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment